From Anne Kathrine Petter√łe <yoji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User and contacts pages
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:57:36 GMT

On 11. apr. 2010, at 13.40, Richard Hirsch wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Anne Kathrine Petter√łe
> <yojibee@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been doing some thinking about the users/profile pages because I
>> don't like the navigation we currently have.
>>

> Agreed
>

>> 1. Get rid of the users page in the navigation panel on the right and
>> replace it with a (my) contacts page.
>>

> "Users" page in its current form won't work anyway when there thousands of
> users in an environment.

Which is why I wanted to remove it too.

>> We decided to keep the public timeline, so discovery can happen there.
>>

> What I'd like to do aid discovery is to add follow functionality like in
> twitter. Here is an example that I would like to use.
> http://www.9lessons.info/2009/04/exactly-twitter-like-follow-and-remove.html

On the public timeline?

>> 2. Make a new layout for the contacts page with two tabs
>> (following/followers)
>> Instead of using the table sorter like we do on the users page today we
>> could make it similar to how twitter displays followers/following:
>> nickname
>> name
>> last tweet
>> when
>>

> This is similar to the current layout of  the users' page. We might be able
> to use the same layout with the users' being restricted to my followers or
> followed

It is similar, but I now it is all on one line. I would like to make it more twitter like
and have one line per "item".

>> 3. Make a list of all users (without displaying the last tweet) for
>> discovery purposes. I don't know where to add it in the navigation yet,
>> maybe next to the public timeline and settings on the top?
>>

> What information would you display from the users?

Just picture, username and full name.
But I am not sure we really need this though? I'd be  happy to just keep the public timeline
and chuck out the list of all users.

>> 4. New profile page (instead of the current user/profilename page) which
>> only shows the timeline of this user and a follow button.
>>

> I'd like to display more user attributes as well. First name,  last name,
> etc.  I'm thinking about adding location and bio to the user attributes as
> well.

A bio would definitely be great!
But I think that is something we could focus on after the 1.1 release.