From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modal Dialogs: Getting there
Date Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:58:32 GMT
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Yep - still got to work on the css
>
> Couldn't get it perfect on the first try? Unacceptable! ;-)
>
> >> 2. Action creation (help will go directly into the modal dialog, I'd
> >> imagine)
> >>
> > 2 dialogs help and creation
>
> I actually currently find it pretty annoying that I have to flip back
> and forth between the "help" and "create" tabs. The help will only
> ever be used in the "create" context, so it probably makes sense to
> have it in the same view and not force the user to toggle.

What I'd like to do is use JQuery tool tips to display the help. I just
finished converting the action page and just deleted the help.

> > The problem is that currently both features break the UI.  The links are
> too
> > long and large messages look horrible.
> >
> > What about dialogs that aren't modal?
>
> I just tend to think that dialogs are the wrong UI metaphor to use for
> display of information. Modal dialogs are even worse because they
> block other interaction, but the modal-ness isn't the main problem in
> this case. We go from requiring zero interaction to see this
> information to requiring at least 2 very precise clicks - one to
> trigger the dialog and one to close it. Will anyone ever look at these
> things if they have to pop up a dialog to do it? I doubt it. I think
> we should either leave them where they are and fix the inline display
> (which I agree is broken)

Good luck.  Do you have suggestion of how to display a long url? Maybe with
a mouse-over that displays the fulltext.

> or take them out until we can come up with a
> better solution (which I think is roughly equivalent to putting them
> into dialogs and which I think we should do).

What about creating dialogs but not modal dialogs.