From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New branch for UI
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 07:58:49 GMT
> The public timeline can be useful in the early days of a microblogging
> service, as I have recently discovered with the introduction of SAPTalk
> at SAP. While there are only a few users of a service and the social
> graph is very sparse, the public timeline is the easiest way to find &
> follow new people.
>
> Once the service is established, the public timeline is much less useful
> - but it's still quite a good way for complete newbies to get a feel for
> what's going on. Without the public timeline, new users have a chicken &
> egg problem to deal with - they access the service, see very few (if
> any) messages, and wonder what the big deal is with all this
> microblogging nonsense and don't come back for 6 months.

Very good point. To clarify, what I don't think is a good idea is to
keep real-time updates for the public timeline. Neither Twitter nor
identi.ca show messages in real-time, but a snapshot. This should be
OK for us, too.

To be sure, it would look cool to show the message flow in real-time,
as long as they come in quantity below a certain threshold. It doesn't
make sense to show messages that come faster than one can read them,
though, and the load would bring the system to a crawl.

So the idea was at least to show the public timeline in a view
separate from the default message stream and think about potential
performance improvements later, which would enable some impression of
real-time flow. For instance, if the public timeline is updated in
batches and cached, this should be fine.

How does that sound?