From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 14:28:00 GMT
I only have two things to add here (assuming that this is the
definition of a release within Apache):

1. My original concern: I think that nearly all the changes in JIRA
that are assigned to Release-1.0-RC2 should be moved to something else
called Release-1.1. We already agreed on a locked scope for release
1.0 and I don't think we should add anything to 1.0 release candidates
aside from things we have agreed are blocking bugs. ESME-162 (mailto
actions crash the server) is probably an example of something that
should stay in Release-1.0-RC2. ESME-100 (finish Web UI) is an example
of something that should *not* stay in Release-1.0-RC2.

2. Not to pick on our mentors, but this definition doesn't make any
sense to me. It is aligned with the official Apache release definition
at http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what but we've just moved
the question from the definition of "release" to the definition of
"the act of publishing it beyond the ESME group of developers (this
mailing list)". If this is the definition of an Apache release, then
the publicly accessible SVN repository is a release. I have a hard
time believing that if I do an export from the ESME SVN repo and
upload it to my people.apache.org page to facilitate testing that this
constitutes a significantly different action from sending someone
instructions on exporting the SVN repo themselves.

I suggest that we work with a narrower definition. Something like "a
signed tarball published to http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/esme/
and advertised on the public ESME website and/or the public mailing
list is a release".

Ethan