From Gianugo Rabellino <g.rabell...@sourcesense.com>
Subject Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 08:32:15 GMT
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would not put the letters "RC" into an actual Apache release. In my
> mind, there is only one release. Release Candidates (RCs) are test
> releases that are floated to the group to enable thorough testing and
> review, but they are *not* Apache releases. (I welcome being corrected
> by mentors and people who know better than me here. :-)

Don't get carried away by the apparent clash in a "release" being
actually a "candidate": one thing is what constitutes an Apache
release (that is the community taking responsibility and producing a
public artifact - sort of going on the record, if you like), quite
another is the intended scope and audience. Alphas, betas, RCs and
whatnot are still releases as they need to follow the Apache release
process: as a mentor, I'm expecting this community to understand how
the release process always has to dot every i and cross every t when
it comes the legal and process bits, while the technical part is left
to you guys - my suggestion to use a RC naming scheme basically means
that the technical/QA bar might be lower than when it comes to telling
your user base you reached the status of golden master.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
M: +44 779 5364 932 / +39 389 44 26 846