From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ESME in Commercial Products
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 10:39:14 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I'm assuming that such differences are covered by the Apache License itself....

The Apache License (AL) allows you to redistribute code as part of a
closed product if you want, without requiring you to tell the ASF
about that, or force you to contribute patches back or to open your
software, nothing like that.

I even saw someone sell the complete source code of the Apache HTTP
server as a printed book a while ago, as the surefire way to find out
everything about it. As silly as that is, it is perfectly legal w.r.t
the AL, so if you can find silly people to buy your silly stuff (or
much better, good people to buy your good stuff) the AL gives you lots
of freedom.

-Bertrand