From Sig Rinde <...@rinde.com>
Subject ESME for Case Management
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:34:40 GMT
Hi Folks,

as the weather is rotten I'm having fun indoors - and thanks to Dick
who works week-ends and skis during the week I was led to a PDF in
regards Case Management (it was a two year invitation for Case
Management System Modelling proposal to extend BPMN in no less than 43
pages from omg.org - aka Oh My God dot org). It had neat definitions,
and the one for Case Management made me go yikes:

"A process that does not have a predefined sequence of activities but
is directed by human or encoded knowledge to act according to the
current situation of the subject of a case and related circumstances.
Each execution of a case management process involves a particular
situation, a case, and a desired outcome for that case. Each case
involves a particular subject (a person, a legal action, an insurance
claim, etc.) and the actions performed related to that subject to
achieve the desired result. The determination of actions to take in
each case involves the exercise of human judgement and
decision-making. A case management process will produce a case file
that is a record of the history of the case and may consist of
multiple documents or records from relevant sources that become case
file parts."

Which BTW is a perfect description of Thingamy's "Work Processor" template.

Dick again: "hearing more and more about "case management" as a way to
support unstructured business processes" I think duh, now I know
why...

Combined, this prompted me to all of fifteen minutes of terms-tweaks
in Thingamy (now all Case, Case File and such known terms) and a quick
visit to Gimp to create a new logo for "Case Management", out went the
"Work Processor" for that one.

So voila, now you can brag that ESME is delivering real time
Discussions & Discovery as part of a Case Management System (Note: Not
Case Management support tool as most are, proper Case Running system
rather, better to automate the boring part of meetings, emailing,
reporting and organising I say.)

Cheers on a Saturday,
Sig

p.s. If any of you need a case management system for your work group
say so and I'll give you one... can even host it, ESME and all ;)