From Uday Subbarayan <uday.subbara...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Class Diagram
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2010 21:31:49 GMT
Hi Ethan,
     Thanks. I am not wed to any one language/platform. But when designing new products,
I need to understand the pros & cons of each & well.

As I said, I like ESME.But forming an engineering team with Scala expertise is going to be
challenging.

Best,
-Uday.

-------------------------

I do not blog but e-write:

http://uds-web.blogspot.com

--- On Sat, 2/6/10, Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Class Diagram
To: esme-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 5:40 PM

Hi Uday,

It is complicated, isn't it :-) Scala has some conventions that were a
bit confusing for me, coming from other pure object-oriented and
functional languages. None of those languages were Java, so that may
have been part of the problem :-)  In order to pick up ESME, I found
it very helpful to first read a complete introductory Scala book.

However, the real point of this email is a word of warning: If you are
trying to understand ESME from the angle of the class hierarchy, you
aren't going to get there. The reason is that ESME is a messaging
system and for pretty much all message operations ESME uses an actor
model to manage interactions in a scalable manner.

Understanding the classes (under the "model" folder) will help you
understand the objects ESME uses, but you'll have to understand the
actors (in the "actor" folder) in order to see how ESME does anything
with these objects. I started a basic diagram of the actor model ESME
uses on the wiki, which you might find helpful:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ESME/Actor+Model

Cheers!
Ethan

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Uday Subbarayan
<uday.subbarayan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I totally agree with you- this is not the place to discuss about language..
>
> I was trying to learn internals of ESME and as you said, this is very complicated code.
I also noticed some 40+ jar's are included in the war!!

> I like ESME and if i can't learn the code structure, then it will be risk to use in a
product. Maintenance will be challenging. I am looking around to see if i can find a light
weight ESME or roll up my own.

> Best,
> Uday.

> I do not blog but e-write:
>
> http://uds-web.blogspot.com

Scala can survive in the long run. I just wrote a blog about it-