From Uday Subbarayan <uday.subbara...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Class Diagram
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2010 16:25:14 GMT
I totally agree with you- this is not the place to discuss about language.

I was trying to learn internals of ESME and as you said, this is very complicated code. I
also noticed some 40+ jar's are included in the war!!

I like ESME and if i can't learn the code structure, then it will be risk to use in a product.
Maintenance will be challenging. I am looking around to see if i can find a light weight ESME
or roll up my own.

Best,
Uday.

-------------------------

I do not blog but e-write:

http://uds-web.blogspot.com

--- On Sat, 2/6/10, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:

From: Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org>
Subject: Re: Class Diagram
To: esme-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 7:46 AM

Regarding the UML diagram, if code is gerenated from the UML, then it
*might* make sense. If not, practice shows that the diagram will be
always outdated.

Analyzing Scala code is fairly complicated because of Scala's
extensibility. Besides, Scala is evolving fast and the syntax is a
moving target. I doubt there are any tools which can generate an UML
diagram from Scala code.

As for opinions about the Scala language, Richard is right- this is
not the rigth place to discuss language viability. Most folks
concentrate on an in-depth analysis of what features they don't like
in Scala rather than trying to guess whether Scala will succeed. Note
that many people claimed that Java would be a failure some 10-15 years
ago- these things are not easy to predict.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 6:22 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Uday Subbarayan
> <uday.subbarayan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Ok. I like the high level design of ESME. It's a good product.
>>
>> Since it's written in Scala, I don't know the internals. I don't even know whether
Scala can survive in the long run. I just wrote a blog about it-