From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Search questions
Date Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:33:59 GMT
On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm testing out the search functionality a bit and I've got a couple
> of questions:

Are you thinking of adding search to the new api indirectly - which I
prefer- or directly with a "search" method?

> 1. Search doesn't appear to be working on
> http://esmecloudserverapache.dickhirsch.staxapps.net/  Or rather, it's
> working, but it only has messages in the index from around Dec 15th
> and 16th. It seems to work fine when I build locally.

Probably a local problem. I haven't tried search on the stax instance
for a while. If desired, I could restart the server.

> 2. It looks like search filters messages by people I follow. When I
> follow a new user, their messages start showing up in my search. When
> I unfollow, those messages no longer show up in my search. Was this by
> design? Would people be open to at least allowing an option to search
> across all messages I have *access* to (by pool), rather than just
> those of people I follow?

The search functionality was conceived before we started pools. Thus,
pools weren't include back then.   I'd like to think that search in
pool would be useful. What about searching across all "my" pools or a
certain pool?

> 3. I'm thinking of using search in a way where I would want to search
> *only* based on tags and *not* on the message text itself. Is this
> currently possible? If not, can we set it up?

Look here for the current search implementation:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/esme/trunk/server/src/main/scala/org/apache/esme/model/Message.scala?view=markup
- starting on line 148