From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Big (first) commit
Date Fri, 01 Jan 2010 16:29:28 GMT
Comments inline.

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Strange that your commit was registered on this list....
>
> That is odd. I sent it to esme-commits@incubator.apache.org

The commits are sent to the esme-comits mailing list automatically.
Here are the archives of this list:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-esme-commits/200912.mbox/browser

Strange. Your commits made it in:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/esme/trunk/server/

>> I think this is fine for now but we don't want to recreate the lift
>> authorization functionality. Is there a migration path possible?
>
> The migration path would be to just switch the mechanism over to Lift
> authorizations. However, those don't appear to be suitable. To quote
> myself:
>
> 1. The Lift httpAuthProtectedResource method that all the examples use
> to tie roles to actions in the application is not suitable for a
> RESTful API approach, since it ties authorization to the resource
> rather than the resource/method combination (translation: you can't
> have a resource with different authorization roles for read and
> write, and we need this, at least for the api2/users resource).
>
> 2. Using LiftRules.httpAuthProtectedResource seems to require the use
> of LiftRules.authentication to authenticate requests. [That is, I
> don't see a way to do authorization based on the current user as
> derived from the session.] Unfortunately it
> looks like you can only define one authentication method per
> application (I may be missing something here), and since the Twitter
> API is already using Basic authentication, we can't use a different
> method for the administration API parts of API2.

OK. I understand - the lift functionality appears to be closely linked
to the UI which really isn't useful for our requirements.

> I need to send that email to the Lift list asking for help...

Would be useful to make them aware of the problems as well

>> [ESME-xxx] JIRA title
>> Extra text
>>
>> xxx = number from Jira
>> JIRA title = Jira title
>> Extra text is optional and says whether it is a patch, etc.
>
> Thanks, I'll do that in the future. Does that format result in the
> Jira comment posting from Hudson automagically?

Yep.