From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject LGPL code in ESME (was: ESME-47 "Some Licensing Nits" ...)
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:23:01 GMT
Him

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...We also scripts in SVN with various copyrights. What do we need and
> what can we toss. Is there a way to pull in these scripts via the
> build process so that we are not part of our SVN?
>
> Here are few examples below:
>
> (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/esme/trunk/server/src/main/webapp/scripts/jquery-1.3.2.min.js?view=markup).

This one's fine, MIT license is ok according to
http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html
but the license header must remain intact, see "third-party works" in
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/esme/trunk/server/src/main/webapp/scripts/tip_balloon.js?view=markup

This one's unclear, but according to the next one which is from the
same source I'd guess it's LGPL, so not good.
Anyway it doesn't indicate permission to redistribute - to be checked.

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/esme/trunk/server/src/main/webapp/scripts/wz_tooltip.js?view=markup

This one's LGPL as indicated in the header, so it has to go (see
http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html).

If it's required for ESME to work, an alternate solution has to be found.

If it's optional, instructing users to download it separately is fine.

Under NO circumstances should license headers of third-party code be
removed in Apache code repositories - if you see any more LGPL/GPL
stuff in ESME's SVN please discuss that here.

I have created ESME-154 and made it a blocker for Release 1.0, to make
sure a general review of such code is done before the release.

-Bertrand