From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clowns running the show, isn't that nice?
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:01:38 GMT
Hi Vassil,

Thanks very much for your reply, I agree that 140 chars is not the way
to go do discuss such difficult issues.

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I was
> surprised that a mentor would suggest that splitting ESME right before
> the release is a better course of action than an educated discussion...

Unfortunately, removing David's code might be required if no agreement
can be found about the copyright notices that he refuses to remove.
I'm seriously hoping and relatively confident that we'll find a way
that doesn't require that, but it's reality. And if that has to
happen, better early than later when that might result in an even more
horrible mess.

> ...I do not believe the ESME team needs special handholding to improve
> and evolve the project. I think we have proven this during the course
> of the last year. There are regular commits and discussions, this
> means our motivation is strong enough. But I believe there are other
> things to try first before suggesting blocking the release and
> removing the project founder's code....

I agree that ESME is getting ready to graduate in many ways, yet we
now have this serious issue that needs to be fixed. If you or others
see us incubation mentors as getting in the way, please say so. For
the record, I fully support Gianugo's view, although it's obvious that
he and David don't get along well on our lists, so reading filters
might be in order when they write to each other.

> ...Everyone is a volunteer and everyone is human- not only the mentors.
> I, for one, barely have enough time to think about ESME's technical
> challenges without getting into legal ones as well. I also have to
> admit my tweets could be more diplomatic after a sleepless night with
> a sick kid. However, none of us are here for fun, so I would be happy
> to apologize if this can get the legal and personal issues resolved....

No apologies needed between you and me I think, thanks for bringing
your concerns here.

-Bertrand