From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Can we remove "Copyright WorldWide Conferencing , LLC" in source files?
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2010 08:47:41 GMT
Hi,

Related to ESME-47, I had a look at the current codebase, and many
source files include

  Copyright 2008-2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC

In their license header.

According to http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright,
such copyright notices should go away for code that is developed at
the ASF.

The copyright notice could go to a NOTICE file if desired, to indicate
that parts of ESME are copyrighted by the above company, but having it
in source files is wrong as those files get edited by various people
over time, and committers retain the copyright on their contributions
[1], so the copyright on the individual source files is a mixture of
the different contributions.

I think those notices where all committed by dpp, David do you agree
to remove them?
And do you want the copyright to be mentioned in the NOTICE file?

I'm happy to supply a patch that removes the notices, for you to
commit, if that helps.

-Bertrand (incubation mentor hat on)

[1] See http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt - committers grant a
copyright license to the ASF but retain copyright on their
contributions