From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we remove "Copyright WorldWide Conferencing , LLC" in source files?
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:00:51 GMT
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Gianugo Rabellino <
g.rabellino@sourcesense.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 7:22 PM, David Pollak
> <feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The Apache 2.0 license, the license I granted in the code that I've
> > contributed to the ESME project, states in section 4.3:
> >
> > You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You
> > distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices
> from
> > the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain
> > any part of the Derivative Works
> >
> > This was part of terms of my license grant in the code I developed for
> > ESME.  Can you point to a place in the CLA where I have abrogated this
> part
> > of the license in favor of ASF rules?
>
> I'm afraid you got it wrong. You haven't licensed code to Apache under
> the AL - by signing a CLA, and committing code to Subversion, you have
> donated your code to the ASF (or, more strictly speaking, licensed
> your a copyright). It is the ASF, then, licensing it under the AL. If
> it was not your intention to license the whole copyright, and if you
> are not content with being recognized in the NOTICE file, that code
> will have to go.

At no point did I assign any code to the ASF.  I granted a license to the
ASF and section 4.3 of the license I granted controls the retention of
copyright notices.

If you remove the copyright notices from the code that I committed to the
ESME project, I will consider that a violation of license I granted to the
ASF.

If a lawyer wants to discuss this further, I am available.

> --
> Gianugo Rabellino
> M: +44 779 5364 932 / +39 389 44 26 846
> Sourcesense - making sense of Open Source: http://www.sourcesense.com