From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we remove "Copyright WorldWide Conferencing , LLC" in source files?
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:22:53 GMT
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Related to ESME-47, I had a look at the current codebase, and many
> source files include
>
>  Copyright 2008-2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC
>
> In their license header.
>
> According to
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright,
> such copyright notices should go away for code that is developed at
> the ASF.

The Apache 2.0 license, the license I granted in the code that I've
contributed to the ESME project, states in section 4.3:

You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You
distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from
the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain to
any part of the Derivative Works

This was part of terms of my license grant in the code I developed for
ESME.  Can you point to a place in the CLA where I have abrogated this part
of the license in favor of ASF rules?

> The copyright notice could go to a NOTICE file if desired, to indicate
> that parts of ESME are copyrighted by the above company, but having it
> in source files is wrong as those files get edited by various people
> over time, and committers retain the copyright on their contributions
> [1], so the copyright on the individual source files is a mixture of
> the different contributions.

It would make sense then that each person who edits a file contributes their
name to the copyright notice.

> I think those notices where all committed by dpp, David do you agree
> to remove them?

No.

> And do you want the copyright to be mentioned in the NOTICE file?
>
> I'm happy to supply a patch that removes the notices, for you to
> commit, if that helps.
>
> -Bertrand (incubation mentor hat on)
>
> [1] See http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt - committers grant a
> copyright license to the ASF but retain copyright on their
> contributions

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics