From Anne Kathrine Petter√łe <yoji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ESME as Micro App on EcoHub?
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 00:33:26 GMT
Just out of curiosity Michael...why is your answer "no"? Do you really think ESME can never
integrate with ERP?
I feel we as a team (with very limited resources) give all we have and then some, to prove
it can be done, so I was just a bit shocked by your response.

And just for clarification: I said it kills innovation from **smaller companies and individual
devs**, not innovation in general. I don't think that is provocative. If you look at the SAP
ecosystem you don't find many individual developers who can live off creating innovating applications.
It wasn't meant as bashing, it has been my reality the last 3 years.
OK enough SAP talk! ..from all of us ;-)

/Anne

On 6. jan. 2010, at 20.00, Ethan Jewett wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Bechauf, Michael
> <michael.bechauf@sap.com> wrote:
>> Ethan,
>>
>> the issue of ESME/E2.0 integration with SAP/ERP that I raised was meant exactly for
that reason: Is there something worth investing for both SAP as well as the ESME team ? The
answer, as I see right now, is "no", so I agree with you that it is a fact of life that nobody
will bring forth any time, money or resources if there is neither a personal or business return-of-investment.

> Ethan: Maybe I've lost the history of this discussion, or perhaps
> there is another parallel discussion going on, but what is the driver
> behind all of this discussion about how best to integrate with SAP
> ERP? If SAP wants it, then SAP should work on it. SAP doesn't need our
> permission. If ESME wants it (I haven't seen this desire expressed on
> this list for ages), then we should figure out how to work on it (and
> sorry, but I see evaluating SAP's IP restrictions and partner
> agreements as part of this discussion). If a mutual customer or SAP
> partner wants it, then they should be talking to us.
>
>> Regarding statements that I perceive as provocative: Well, to say that "the SAP partner
program kills innovation" is provocative in my book. We've already done a lot in a year, such
as like totally relaxing our policies regarding contributing to open source as well as providing
the SAP developer license and Code Exchange which are all meant for individual developers.
I know there is so much more work that needs to be done, but rather than just saying how bad
things are, please help us figure out appropriate ways to present a business case for individual
developers based on areas of innovation that individuals can pursue, and that makes sense
for EcoHub, which is mostly a tool for SAP customers to discover value-add products and services
that works with their ERP system.

> Ethan: I think we appreciate what you and your group have
> accomplished. But as I'm sure you're well aware, one year of good work
> doesn't not erase a couple of decades of history. I know SAP changes
> slowly and I can see that it's changing, but that doesn't make the
> current state of it's programs any different. In my view, one of the
> reasons SAP is changing is because of the pointed statements by
> mentors and other community members. It annoys me to see you imply
> that these statements are somehow inappropriate.
>
>> As I said, I'm happy to continue this discussion in a place such as the SAP Mentor
Forum that is more approrpiate than the ESME dev list. I don't think we should be discussing
legal agreements and fee structure for SAP programs here.