From Gianugo Rabellino <g.rabell...@sourcesense.com>
Subject Re: Can we remove "Copyright WorldWide Conferencing , LLC" in source files?
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:24:20 GMT
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:00 PM, David Pollak
<feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Gianugo Rabellino <
> g.rabellino@sourcesense.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 7:22 PM, David Pollak
>> <feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The Apache 2.0 license, the license I granted in the code that I've
>> > contributed to the ESME project, states in section 4.3:
>> >
>> > You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You
>> > distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices
>> from
>> > the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain
>> > any part of the Derivative Works
>> >
>> > This was part of terms of my license grant in the code I developed for
>> > ESME.  Can you point to a place in the CLA where I have abrogated this
>> part
>> > of the license in favor of ASF rules?
>>
>> I'm afraid you got it wrong. You haven't licensed code to Apache under
>> the AL - by signing a CLA, and committing code to Subversion, you have
>> donated your code to the ASF (or, more strictly speaking, licensed
>> your a copyright). It is the ASF, then, licensing it under the AL. If
>> it was not your intention to license the whole copyright, and if you
>> are not content with being recognized in the NOTICE file, that code
>> will have to go.
>>

> At no point did I assign any code to the ASF.

What is the bit of "You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual,
 worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
 copyright license" that you don't understand exactly?

> I granted a license to the
> ASF and section 4.3 of the license I granted controls the retention of
> copyright notices.
>
> If you remove the copyright notices from the code that I committed to the
> ESME project, I will consider that a violation of license I granted to the
> ASF.
>
> If a lawyer wants to discuss this further, I am available.

You are more than welcome to post a question to legal-discuss@a.o. But
if I were in your shoes, I would go and re-read the ICLA I assume you
signed.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
M: +44 779 5364 932 / +39 389 44 26 846