From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:45:54 GMT
On Fri January 22 2010 5:05:47 am Anne Kathrine Petter√łe wrote:
> Bertrand,
>
> To be honest it is difficult to work under such circumstances.
> I am not sure we will get anything done until this issue is resolved.
>
> /Anne

Anne,

I know this is a very difficult situation, but I hope you realize that this is
actually one of the main advantages of Apache over most of the other "forges"
and such that are out there.    One thing Apache tries its best to do is to
make sure everything is squeaky clean from a legal perspective so that users
of Apache software can use the software with some level of confidence in it's
legal status.   To accomplish that, every once in a while, we need to suffer
through some of these situations to make sure everything is OK.   With many of
the other communities, they don't have the legal council available to help
figure out what the proper solutions are to problems like these and the final
result may or may not be "legal" and could cause long term issues for the
project.

In the end, I hope the companies that are using ESME will be happy that this
has been resolved satisfactory and they can once again be confident in the
legal status of ESME.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp