From "Bechauf, Michael" <michael.bech...@sap.com>
Subject RE: ESME as Micro App on EcoHub?
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:34:17 GMT
I don't think the ESME list is the place to have these conversations, particularly because
I don't think ESME is relevant right now. As long as it's not clear what an ERP customer would
do with ESME (and who would actually productize it), it's kind of a moot point.

As to "SAP's current partner program kills innovation from smaller companies and individual
devs". That is a nice provocative statement, and I would agree that the burden of signing
SAP legal requirements are high, but let's not forget that there is a flip side to this, which
is that SAP customers are also demanding service level requirements for support etc that often
individual developers can't fulfill. Also, open source is an issue; as long as there are lawsuits
brought against entities that use open source, who is going to indemnify SAP customers that
they don't have to worry about those lawsuits ? See http://bit.ly/6knHsr, for example, which
is just a recent example related to violation of the copyright terms of GPL, but there are
other examples like patent infringement lawsuits related to OS software as well.

I am getting a little tired of the SAP bashing because apples are compared to oranges: An
app store for iPhone is a place where consumers can buy stuff; it's a volume business and
the requirements of running a game or a useful utility on an iPhone is obviously not as stringent
as connecting something to an SAP system. There may be a volume business for SAP as well,
like Flash islands for cool visualizations, but as long as there is no clear area where SAP
can carve out a niche that can somehow justify lower barriers of entry, the requirements are
the same.

At the same time, there is a chicken-egg problem; individual developers will hardly let their
creativity flow as long as there is not even an incentive to be creative.

Happy to discuss further at a different place if anybody is interested.

Best,
Michael