From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Admin-users, Integration modes
Date Sat, 26 Dec 2009 06:24:34 GMT
I'd like to suggest using lift roles. This will give us some level of
abstraction and will also be more in line with our proposed use of
ldap for user management.

For more information regarding the use of roles in lift, I'd also
suggest looking at material on ldap for lift:
(http://jgoday.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/lift-ldap/). You can also look
at the code in git for more details.

If you are thinking about single-sign-on, I'd suggest looking at CAS
(http://www.jasig.org/cas). An integration of CAS into lift has also
been discussed on the lift list.  There is ample material on how to
integrate CAS into applications
(http://www.jasig.org/cas/client-integration). This integration is
also important for our integration into OFBiz which also supports CAS.

If we are talking about a API for administration purposes that is
definitely should be separated from the others and associated with
special rights.

@Ethan - why don't you create a new wiki page in the collaboration
section where we can all work together.

Ideally, the authorization in lift could come from the container but I
never seen any discussion of this.

The issue of user creation was also discussed during my meeting with
iks where they suggested using a ldap.

What about this suggestion:

1. Use lift roles to deal with these administration tasks
2. Use a special API to deal with the creation of users, tokens
(interim solution).   This API would have methods to create users,
create tokens and get tokens for users.
3. Have the ability to disable the Admin API if not desired.
4. First prototype could have users in the role stored in a property
file. This is similar to tomcat's security realms

D.