From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 12sprints integration works
Date Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:50:54 GMT
On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:
> The HTTP POST action already has a somewhat complicated syntax, so
> introducing more special cases are going to make both parsing and
> understanding more difficult.
>
> Regarding duplicated messages, there is already a mechanism for
> avoiding infinite messages when fetching feeds- the Atom feed, for
> instance, already has unique ids, so only messages with unique new ids
> are sent to the timeline. Does 12sprints offer RSS/Atom feeds of
> activities?

Don't know if it uses RSS feeds for activities - good idea though .
(although there is a REST API call that monitors activity events:,
https://beta.12sprints.com/api/Get_all_events_for_a_specific_activity.html).
 Right now we are looking at primarily the creation-related REST API
calls.

> The best chance of eliminating duplicate messages and loops is to have
> some unique metadata, which differentiates messages. If any such
> metadata is lost, the best chance we got is matching the text strings,
> and this has too many disadvantages to use as a general solution.

But this doesn't solve the problem that is also present with non
ATOM-RSS feeds. You can create an action that resends a message to
ESME under a different user id. The action test is messages that
contain the string "20". If you follow the second user, then you will
create an infinite loop.

> Anyway, if I understand correctly, if the user needs to create an ESME
> action for each new unique 12sprints activity manually, that's
> probably more overhead than going to the 12sprints UI.

No - the idea is that after the first activity is created, you take
the activity id that was returned in the response and use it as a tag
for messages related to that activity. Then you use the %t to create
the REST API call that is activity-specific.