From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Progress on new UI
Date Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:22:30 GMT
Just to let you know, fetching messages from the public timeline is
currently not cached. It probably doesn't make much sense either
because it would then flood the cache too quickly with messages which
are not likely to be requested again. This would result in messages
being flushed from the cache too quickly.

On neither of the popular microblogging sites (Twitter and identi.ca)
is the public timeline updated in real-time. This makes sense because
the performance overhead is significant and the benefit fairly small.
In light of the recent performance benchmarks I'm not sure it's wise
to update the public timeline in real-time. Maybe some sampling would
emulate real-time reasonably well?

Anyway, sending 20 messages instead of 1 would might waste some
bandwidth, but will not cause such a performance overhead as hitting
the DB.

Finally, the tag clouds you see on the main page are currently based
on the friends' timeline, so it is not the same for different users.
It could be generated out of the last messages of the public
timeline, but then it's all again about fetching the messages.

Not that I'm against having some real-time functionality on the front
page, but I just wanted to note that this goes beyond what just the
new UI involves.