From Markus Kohler <markus.koh...@gmail.com>
Subject Some thoughts about load tests
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 22:02:47 GMT
Hi all,

Here are my thoughts about how I want to proceed with the performance test.

Any comments are welcome!

*Single User tests*

So far I didn't put any real load on the esme server, but just ran tests
with one single user. BTW, this is how the ABAP performance experts do it.
They rarely do tests with many users :-)

I used Selenium to automate the browser, which turned out to be pretty easy
and we could still find some issues.

There are a few things I intend to test this way. So far no user follows any
other user. I will write a test that does that, which in itself might be
interesting, but it would also be interesting of course to see later on
whether that influences the peformance of message sending.

*Load ( multi user) Tests*

Load test, simulate the load of many users, and are typically done using
HTTP record and replay tools (Loadrunner, JMeter etc). Those tools are
pretty dumb, they don't really emulate the browser. So no javascript is run
and no rendering is executed. They just send HTTP requests and slightly
modify them for each user. There advantage is that they are very efficient.

For web applications that use Comet, such as ESME,  this is not really an
option.

Browsermob is an interesting load testing service running in the cloud that
uses real browsers for load testing. They combine it with the HTTP request
replay method. They differentiate between real users (browser based) and
virtual users (http replay based).

 The difference between real users and virtual users is explained here
http://blog.browsermob.com/2009/12/faq-whats-the-difference-between-a-real-browser-user-and-a-virtual-user/

It seems browsermob has a free testing period. I might use that for some
tests, but it' s not the ultimate solution because I can't really profile on
STAX.

Selenium can also drive tests using HTMLunit, which simulates a browser in
Java including Javascript, but without rendering.

Plan A is to try whether this works. If it doesn't work,

Plan B would be to combine the single user Selenium tests with tests against
the "REST"-API.

Regards,

Markus