From Markus Kohler <markus.koh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SAP Services in ESME (was: UI widgets for ESME)
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 08:39:16 GMT
Hi Michael,
Comments see below ...

Greetings,
Markus

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" -- Alan Kay

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Bechauf, Michael <michael.bechauf@sap.com>wrote:

> Hi Markus,
>
> no question, there are ways to technically solve this easily. I guess the
> question is what the overall business model for ESME is supposed to be. As a
> Twitter clone, I think we all agree that there is a pretty shaky value
> proposition. It may be a good scalable behind-firewall Twitter, but without
> integration of some sort to enterprise systems, to receive events and
> trigger processes, it may not be not enough.

I fully agree. There are certain features already in ESME that are essential
for Enterprises such as supporting some kind of access control and not
sending all messages to the public, but yes real business integration is not
included in the core distribution.

> You may have already had discussions about this, so I apologize for coming
> into this late.
>
> As far as integration goes, the question is whether the open source part of
> ESME is supposed to offer pre-integrated modules with SAP, SalesForce,
> Oracle or whatever other enterprise systems are available.

Yes and I believe ESME could ship pre-integrated modules for SAP, Salesforce
or whatever by only shipping interfaces and no concrete implementations for
those vendors were it would run into license issues.

For example lets assume we want to have something in ESME that allows the
user to approve a leave request.
The interface for that could be as simple as approveLeave (String userId,
boolean approve )

The concrete implementations for doing the approval on a SAP system would
not have to shipped with ESME, but only the interface definition.
The concrete "plugin" that would implement the approval on a SAP (or
whatever vendor) system could be non-free and hosted on a "market"
controlled by SAP.

> Honestely, I have no idea why David has chosen to react so abrupt to my
> message. I doubt that it is only SAP that has proprietary license terms
> associated with access to their systems.

SAP is most likely not the only vendor doing this.

> So, the question for the ESME team must be weather they are willing to
> build the business model for convincing the proprietary enterprise vendors
> to open up certain interfaces to the open source. Reading David's sternly
> worded email, I would believe that there is no interest, but I don't know
> whether David speaks for the group.

Certainly opening up certain interfaces would be the ideal solution from
ESME's  points of view.

> I am simply trying to offer a dialogue because I was under the impression
> that there is a win-win for both ESME and SAP, but if there is no interest,
> I'm happy to shut up and leave the strategy completely up to this team.
>
> As far as participation of SAP employees in ESME are concerned, you know
> what to do. I am under the impression that under currect conditions no SAP
> employee is authorized to sign an individual contributor agreement. SAP as a
> company has signed the Apache contributor agreement, but that still means
> that we would have to get internal approval for contributing to ESME. I
> don't think that's hard at all, and if the ESME team is interested to build
> a business case for pre-integration that's even better. For the time being,
> I don't think performance tests without code contributions are IP critical
> at all.
>
> Alternative, if pre-integration is not important, then there are way to
> still collaborate either through CodeX or to simply keep the  ESME SAP
> integration widgets out of open source and develop them under a SAP partner
> agreement.

Yes, that is another option, but I fear, for those who just would want to
have just some simple integration, it would put the bar too high.  It seems
to me that open source adoption depends very much on a low entry barrier.

Regards,
Markus

Sorry for so much business lingo, but I really do hope that more