From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Just added API2 Java client to SVN
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 00:11:13 GMT
Hi,

While I'm a huge fan of having API client libraries galore, I don't
think it's a very good idea to maintain them in the actual ESME
repository. There are several reasons for this:

1. Most client library authors will not be commiters, creating an
unnecessary bottle-neck around library checkins.

2. There may be more than one version of a client in a given
language/platform, and we probably shouldn't be playing favorites.

3. Checking them in as part of the project gives a sort of "Apache
stamp of approval", which we may indeed want to give, but should
probably do by listing the clients on the wiki rather than checking
them into the repository.

Overall, I'd say that the general approach for API clients to projects
like this is for authors to maintain them in public repositories
(usually Github or Google Code, depending on the choice of version
control system). They can then be managed outside of the Apache
process.

Often, an implementation will provide a reference client in one or
more languages, not meant for production use. If that is what we are
trying to do here, then I guess I could come around to supporting that
position, but we should be aware that we are signing up for more work
:-)

Wow, I'm such a contrary person aren't I? Richard (and others) what do
you think? Were you going for "reference client" or were you planning
for this to happen for all clients?

Ethan