From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject SAP Services in ESME (was: UI widgets for ESME)
Date Sat, 05 Dec 2009 17:30:36 GMT
I think this topic deserves a separate discussion. It is something we
probably need to address at some point, and I don't want to derail the
widgets discussion.

I was wrong to imply that SAP purposefully attempts to spread fear,
uncertainty, or doubt on this topic. It doesn't. However, there is a
lot of uncertainty and misalignment between SAP and the developer
community, which results in doubt and fear.

I disagree with Michael that a widget interfacing with an SAP
Enterprise Service necessarily falls under any SAP license
restriction. Such a widget would not need to include Enterprise
Services in any sense. It would simply need to take a URL pointing to
an arbitrary WSDL and it would need to make some assumptions about the
field names and structures of the service. Field names and structures
are information that SAP provides publicly, with no license
restrictions (as far as I can tell) at http://esworkplace.sap.com/.

However, as I mentioned, SAP's position on the IP around these
services is sufficiently uncertain and opaque that I would not be
comfortable including them in this project until SAP's lawyers
specifically address this use case. (It is not addressed in the
Netweaver Developer license agreement linked below, and developers who
develop against SAP Enterprise Services are not necessarily bound by
this license agreement.)

Do we have an overall approach or understanding on this issue that has
already been developed? If not, it might be worth discussing specific
scenarios and our comfort level with them.

Ethan