From Daniel Koller <dakol...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: UI widgets for ESME
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 05:49:39 GMT
Good morning,

I like this concept, and want to add something:

My basic assumption is that in an enterprise environment the mentioned
widget contents are relevant, but e.g. micro blogging tools as well:
I believe that we are moving from many individual apps (w/ individual user
interfaces) to a widget container based user interface (an information
worker workplace), which consolidates information from different sources
(News, SAP, ESME) and allows to 'drill deeper' in the respective information
when needed.

The main implication for the "Widgets for ESME" topic is, that we should
lookout for an ideally existing widget platform, which allows us to ease the
development process(not to reinvent the wheel) and which allows us also to
produce ESME widgets, which can be consumed by other users of this widget
platform. (something like using a portlet/iView standard) --> I am not
familiar, with the current maturity of the existing frameworks, but somebody
else on the list maybe is - Recently I read that the Liferay platform w/ the
supported Java portlet standard might be a contender).

An additional benefit is that we can use this widget container also to get a
customizable start page (w/ low additional 'cost' for us): this might also
reduce the complexity of UI development on our side. (e.g. reuse an existing
framework to implement customizable Corporate Designs - less effort for us &
a standardization-based effort saving )

Kind regards,

Daniel

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:13 AM, Marcelo Pham <marcelo@akibot.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I had a chat with Dick and he thought it would be good to share this idea
> we had for Akibot with the ESME community:
>
> *General concept*
>
> 1. The idea is to include a "widget" area to ESME front end. These widgets
> would be plug & play components that help users from a same group or
> department to see real time info, such as financials, inventory maps, sales,
> etc. etc.
> In brief, we would be marrying business intelligence (widgets showing
> relevant, summarized information in real time) with social media
> (microblog), this would give the whole group a sense of total business
> awareness (they would know exactly what's going on, what employees are
> chatting about, issues (microblog), what's the most named item, the most
> mentioned customer (tags), figures for sales, inventory (widgets))
>
> 2. For example, the executive and sales groups would have a widget in their
> microblog that would show real time information for today's and YTD orders:
>

> This widget would read data from the SD module and inform everybody how
> sales are doing.
>
> 3. We would start with widgets that read from SAP modules (SD, FI, MM,
> etc.) and maybe after we could extend it to other ERP's (JD Edwards, Mas500,
> Navision, etc) or other groupware apps (Salesforce, Exchange, etc.)
>
> *Details*
>
> 4. If ESME can be skinnable (meaning to allow users to change around the
> HTML of the front end) these widgets could be embeddable in the form of an
> object, like:
>
> <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://widget.esme.us/?v=1.0"
width="200" height="400" align="middle">
>    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
>    <param name="movie" value="widget1.swf" />
>    <param name="quality" value="high" />
>    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
>
>    <param name="feed_username" value="username" />
>
>    <param name="feed_password" value="12345abcd" />
>
>    <param name="feed_url" value="http://10.1.1.10/SAPFeed/" />
>
>     <embed src="widget1.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="200" height="400"
name="foo" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

--
---
Daniel Koller