From "Bechauf, Michael" <michael.bech...@sap.com>
Subject RE: SAP Services in ESME (was: UI widgets for ESME)
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:19:47 GMT
Thanks ! Believe it or not, but this may actually make things easier. We
want to contribute to many projects, and if we need a legal review of
the iCLA anyway, then it should be more straight forward to get this
signed for a specific project like ESME.

I'm actually surprised this hadn't come up earlier. I know we made the
decision to contribute to several projects, but perhaps none of our
developers has yet reached committer status, so a review of the iCLA
hadn't become necessary.

In any case, I don't forsee this to be a big deal, but we still have to
do the rounds on our side.

Best,
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Kulp [mailto:dkulp@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, Dec 07, 2009 12:54 PM
To: esme-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Bechauf, Michael
Subject: Re: SAP Services in ESME (was: UI widgets for ESME)

On Mon December 7 2009 12:46:29 pm Bechauf, Michael wrote:
> Perhaps I did not clearly express my question. If a corporation has
> already signed http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt, do
> their employees still individually need to sign
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt once they start contributing ?

Yes.  See:
http://apache.org/licenses/

It specifically says:

For a corporation that has assigned employees to work on an Apache
project, a
Corporate CLA (CCLA) is available for contributing intellectual property
via
the corporation, that may have been assigned as part of an employment
agreement. Note that a Corporate CLA does not remove the need for every
developer to sign their own CLA as an individual, to cover any of their
contributions which are not owned by the corporation signing the CCLA.

Part of the reason for that can be seen at:
http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#management
Under the "Individuals compose the ASF" header.

When contributing to Apache, you are representing YOURSELF, not the
company
you are working for.   Thus, you need an ICLA on file.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org