From "Bechauf, Michael" <michael.bech...@sap.com>
Subject RE: SAP Services in ESME (was: UI widgets for ESME)
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 13:33:18 GMT
Hi Gianugo,

> As far as participation of SAP employees in ESME are concerned, you
know what to do. I am under the impression that under currect conditions
no SAP employee is authorized to sign an individual contributor
agreement.

> You understand this means that SAP cannot have committers in the
project? CCLAs are fine and required in case individuals contribute
corporate IP, but we will still need the ICLA from the specific
individual to grant commit access (see
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas).

Given SAP's employment agreements in large parts of the world, I don't
think that there is a clean separation line between "person acting as
employee" and "person acting as individual". This relates to ownership
of inventions when acting as an individual, as well as to understanding
when an individual who is also an employee inadvertenly contributes
corporate IP.

We can either go about setting up clear separation lines, but given
ESME's scope, I think it would be easier to simply gain internal
approval for contributions to ESME by employees, and then handle those
contributions through the CCLA. That's what we do for Eclipse as well.

Or are you saying that in addition to a signed CCLA, Apache also needs
an individiual's CLA ?

Best,
Michael