From "Bechauf, Michael" <michael.bech...@sap.com>
Subject Re: SAP Services in ESME (was: UI widgets for ESME)
Date Sat, 05 Dec 2009 20:38:50 GMT
Ethan,

it is no wonder that the developer community is asking questions, because honestely, sometimes
I am not understanding all of our legal agreements, particularely where we are "open, but
proprietary" - in other words where we seemingly share content like WSDLs and field names
openly, but in reality you are already bound to some license agreement in order to access
this information.

I would assume that our lawyers have done their jobs. The intent is clear, and that is to
protect Enterprise Services from unauthorized use. The issue is that we are trying to defend
ourselves against competitors but in the process of doing so also create issues with open
source licenses.

As you know, there is a major thaw in our relationship to open source communities; we are
starting to contribute freely and with little bureaucratic overhead - at least in areas that
are non-differentiating to us. The conclusion is clearly that we have more to benefit by contributing
back than by locking down the fort.

With Enterprise Services, we are unfortunately still in sort of a dilemma. On the one side,
it would be good that open source software would be closely affialted with SAP software; on
the other side, this means that the neatly protected ES definitions become subject to OS licenses
and thus more open than we perhaps are comfortable with.

In the end, it comes down to a business decision, and I think things like ESME will help make
the case. It don't think there is any doubt that we don't want to build an engine like ESME
ourselves. ESME also needs to be open, and not tied to SAP only. In the world of a borderless
enterprise, we can't assume that everybody has SAP, so an engine that only works for SAP does
not make sense. Open source is a great way to design the openness from the get-go.

So, I know we have to come clean. As one of our lawyers recently said, it is easy to build
a completely open company, and a completely closed one - to get it right and build something
right in the middle is hard. Microsoft has done some good work with their Open Specifications
Promise where they said exactly where they are open. Perhaps SAP needs to learn from that.

My suggestion is therefore for the ESME team (and for anybody else who cares) to help us build
a business case why net-net interoperability of SAP to open source is good, and to help us
define how open we need to be. That is more productive than kind of second guessing the licenses
we have in place because the openness on SDN can be deceiving. Yes, you can browse the ES
definitions but once you drill down into the WSDLs you have to register and for that, I believe
you have to agree to some license. Trust me, I believe our lawyers when they say that in order
to build software with ES services you must use one of our dev licenses. I would not get into
questions whether SAP can even protect weird stuff like a field named "BUKRS", or whether
an API to create a purchase order is patentable or can be protected by copyrights. We need
to build the business case that innovations like ESME benefit SAP, and higher interoperability
is good.

For that, I hope that the demo of ESME at the influencer summit will help. I would not be
shy in saying that right now it's great that the approval process to get SAP employees to
contribute to ESME is straight forward, but to get SAP software to interoperate with ESME
is hard due to licensing.

Best,
Michael