From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing textile from code base
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:36:23 GMT
On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think it might be a good idea if we removed the textile parsing -
> especially if it is really causing such a performance hit.

We're not looking at the root cause of the problem.  The Textile stuff is a
hit if we run it on each message for each user.  This is no different than
having an SQL query in the code that's a Cartesian product and throwing out
SQL because of it.

Let's find out where and why we keep loading the same message from the RDBMS
rather than going to the message cache.

Let's find out why we're hitting the RDBMS in general... there are
abstractions in the system (or at least were) that make RDBMS access a local
thing rather than a global thing.

I'll have time on Monday to look at this, but running around chopping off
pieces of code and changing functionality isn't going to get us any closer
to solving the problem... it's just going to cause the problem to be
manifest elsewhere.

> @Vassil: Could you remove the textile parser from the code and replace
> it with the old parsing functionality.  If I remember correctly, there
> are multiple places in the code base  were it is present. The best
> would be to comment out the Textile code so that we remember were it
> was in the code base.  If you do this today, I could do a deployment
> on Stax tomorrow so that it could be tested by the whole community.
>
> D.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics