From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Further analysis of the GC issue
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 04:00:20 GMT
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Bechauf, Michael
<michael.bechauf@sap.com>wrote:

> Wasn't this exactly the kind of stuff that the Eclipse Memory Analyzer -
> donated by SAP - was supposed to fix ? A heap of that size for a still
> moderate number of 300 users is crazy, so either there is stuff like
> circular references that hog memory, or the design model is fundamentally
> flawed. I don't understand why ESME needs "sessions" ? How can a scaleable
> server be created if each user will allocate memory until some timeout. In a
> world of stateless browser-based UIs that's not going to work.

You're actually dead wrong about this.  "Stateless" is not... it's just
pushing state and cache someplace else (the RDBMS, memcached, etc.).
"Stateless" will lead to radical performance problems.  "Stateless" merely
moves the caching decisions into code you don't control.  I dealt with this
issue first-hand while helping a popular micro-blogging site migrate from a
"stateless" to a Scala-based backend.  I'm dealing with this issue
first-hand helping another popular site that's experiencing exponential
growth migrate away from "push everything back to the RDBMS and hope for the
best."

My original design for ESME is stateful.  My original design for ESME is
based on lessoned learned in this very space and was oriented to have things
intelligently cached so that the caching is not based on RDBMS indexes.  I'm
not sure what happened to cause the particular issues, but it seems like
folks are loading messages from the RDBMS rather than asking the message
cache for them.

> Time for me to look at that code ...
>
> -Michael

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp