From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scala style guide
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:39:32 GMT
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com>wrote:

> What about doing the formatting in two steps. The first step is
> automatic and includes dealing with stuff like identing and creating
> empty  method headers.  You could probably use existing IDE formatters
> for that.  The second step would be the manual process and would
> reflect the Style Guide suggestions.

I'm thinking that the style guide's recommendations will likely be
integrated with IntelliJ 9's Scala plugin.  Ilya has been looking for
something to build his code formatter on and I think this document may
provide the best guide for him.

If we can build new code going forward based on the style guide and then
"backport" the rest of the code when the tooling is available, I think that
may be the best use of resources.

Thanks,

David

PS -- I think the style guide is stellar!

> D.
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Took a look at the guide and it looks good. The question is: do we
> >> wait for code beautifier that is based on the guide or do we do format
> >> our code ourselves?
> >
> > I'm not sure there's a non-interactive code beautifier which we can
> > configure (formatting in IDEs hardcodes many configurations). Besides,
> > since Scala syntax is still a moving target, I'm not sure anyone has
> > focused on creating such a beautifier just yet. In a word: we should
> > format ourselves.
> >
> > But a great idea for a hobby project ;-)

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics