From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Collaboration with #ubimic
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:37:24 GMT
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for contacting us regarding a collaboration.
>
> I think it would great to collaborate on a  SAP-related use case. We
> already have a series of ABAP bots that create ESME messages based on
> certain activities (check-out of development components, etc.)  What
> about looking an an older use case with xRPM integration that we
> talked about in a blog (http://blog.esme.us/esme-bots/).
>
> We would be glad to help you in setting up an environment and we could
> also look at using our Stax test environment to integrate with the SAP
> systems on the university.
>
> What about this idea. The Stax test installation is the microblogging
> environment. An ESME bot sits in your university's network and listens
> to the message flow in this environment (using our new API). When
> messages with a certain tag are delivered, your bot then reformats
> these messages and then they are posted to the SAP system. A response
> message is then posted to the Stax user saying that the operation was
> a success / failure.
>
> I think the next steps would be to further refine this idea (or
> another idea) so that a developer could develop a quick prototype.

I am very keen on collaboration.  The whole Actions thing was a bit of
brain-vomit on my part that happened over a 24 hour period.  Other folks,
notably Vassil, have fleshed out and improved Actions over time.  However,
I'd be very interested in enhancing what can be done with Actions... I think
they, along with real-time information flow, distinguish ESME from most
other micromessaging platforms.

> [...]
> <martin.boehringer@wirtschaft.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> > Hi ESME community
> >
> > You discussed our suggestion for a joint project with #ubimic
> > (http://ubimic.org) last week and I wanted to get back to you with our
> > thoughts on possible collaboration scenarios.
> >
> > First, I should tell you about #ubimic. We are a group of university
> > researchers interested in microblogging from different points of view
> > (computer science, information systems, organizational science). Together
> we
> > think that microblogging has great potential when it comes to integrating
> > normal users and things like sensors, machines and software. We are
> > experimenting with different microblogging tools and scenarios. For
> example
> > we have a current project where we use a little factory built with LEGO
> > simulate how sensors (RFID) could participate in microblogging.
> >
> > For us, two things are really cool with ESME:
> > - the "action" / "ESME bots" functionality
> > - the ESME community with its background in enterprise applications (SAP)
> >
> > Therefore, I could think of different levels of collaboration:
> > a) loosely coupled collaboration; we share information and include each
> > other in publications (ESME could have a place as associated partner of
> > #ubimic if you're interested)
> > b) shared work on a SAP use case: it would be really cool, if we could
> > define a concrete use cases of tweeting SAP systems. For example tweeting
> > Purchase Requisition or Open Items. What would be benefits (easy access,
> > easy possibility to retweet and enrich with hashtags, ...) and what would
> be
> > problems (rights management!, implementation costs)? What's with the
> other
> > way round (create actions in the SAP system via microblogging postings)?
> We
> > could write a joint blog posting for each use case (or maybe even a
> > publication/white paper).
> > c) implement a SAP use case: that would be perfect. We have running SAP
> > systems at the university and I could try to get a student for the
> > implementation work. However, I have no knowledge of ESME and I am sure
> that
> > your system has much more to offer (actions, ESME bots)... so I would
> need
> > someone who supports us here.
> >
> > Let me know what you think!
> >
> > Btw: just to let you know in advance: we are working on a study on
> > enterprise microblogging tools. We might come back to you in a view days
> in
> > order to get some information on ESME (we have a standardized
> > questionnaire)...
> >
> > Cheers
> > Martin
> >
> > ---
> > Dipl.-Wirt.-Inf. Martin Böhringer
> > Technische Universität Chemnitz, Fakultät für Wirtschaftswissenschaften,

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics