From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We are down to 4.6 Mbyte
Date Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:26:33 GMT
> I am sorry you feel embarrassed.  While bugs happen, your effective code to
> bug ratio is quite excellent... and this is the kind of bug we like to have:

Thanks for the kind words. I feel relieved we found the bug as well,
of course, but the first reaction was mild annoyance that I caused
some lost time debugging, including for myself. I just wanted to
correct the others that "making ESME 5000 times better" is not the
complete picture ;-) I didn't change the design or make significant
refactoring, for example.

I also wanted to tell my story as a learning experience for others-
things don't always seem so straightforward as they seem. It's exactly
as you said- people are often prone to jump to conclusions about
Scala, Lift, REST, databases, cache, sessions, etc. It happens every
day.

It just occurred to me that we can add another point to our design
philosophy page- measure and test extensively before making
conclusions about the merit of a certain technology or pattern.