From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Further analysis of the GC issue
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:15:02 GMT
Facebook are definitely not relying on the database, they virtually
have everything in cache. You can't scale/distribute an RDBMS the way
they are growing- more than half a million new users every day. And
it's not only them.

If there are problems, they are not with Scala, as some of the
highest-traffic sites use it, for instance Twitter. It's more likely
that it's a problem of ESME or maybe Lift, as we are using the
SNAPSHOT branch and they had many changes lately. But I definitely
remember that ESME was faster one or two months ago.

Maybe we also have to try to profile the stack trace where the biggest
number of String objects get allocated. It might be slow, but will
certainly clarify many questions. The important thing to do it is that
we are easily able to reproduce it, so selenium/load tests would be
cool.