From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance Tests - Suggestions and Ideas
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:58:19 GMT
I just wanted to say thanks to Markus for doing this, and I think
performance testing is a critical aspect for this type of application
(as Twitter have demonstrated very convincingly).

I also believe performance testing of ESME is also a great way to test
Lift, as ESME is one of the biggest open-source projects using Lift
(ok, there aren't many anyway). Other bugs which performance tests
could catch would be deadlocks and thread contention, and these are
vitally important in the light of the dynamic change Lift is
undergoing swapping its actor implementations.

It's also a good idea to run performance tests on Hudson, at least for
the time being- we don't have that many commits per week yet.

About memory analysis being a low-hanging fruit: agree 100%, provided
one condition is fulfilled. The condition is that we're able to test
the application locally, and performance tests help us do exactly
that. Previously many bugs could only be reproduced by everyone on the
Stax instance. Besides, a long time ago I have worked on memory leak
problems in the same area as Markus, so I think we have enough
know-how.

Vassil