From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scala style guide
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:11:15 GMT
> What I don't like about IDEs is that they often gratuitously format
> your code, assuming everyone must have the same preferences, and
> there's no way to configure it (or at least few people do). For
> instance, in several of the ESME files I can already see that
> indentation spaces are substituted by 8 tabs, which looks pretty awful
> with my settings (tab=2 spaces). Besides, this is against any Scala
> conventions that I've seen.

To clarify, I don't mean that I don't recommend IDEs, I just think
it's harder to solve the problem of more or less uniform style. Many
IDEs are flexible enough to configure formatting details on a
fine-grained level. The problem is, we can't force everyone to use the
same IDE, or to use an IDE at all, for that matter :)

It would be interesting to have a command-line tool to do optional
formatting. I don't see anything like that for Scala, which is similar
to what e.g. Jalopy did for Java.