From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patch submitted, working towards API design
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 18:14:47 GMT
OK, let's start the discussion again. For the API calls which are not
comet-related, ESME could benefit to apply the RESTful principles
which make sense.

As for Comet, my team has rejected Yammer in the past for short
scrum-like meetings of remote teams because if everyone has to wait
what the others have to say, the meeting is prohibitively long (and it
takes less than 30 seconds to update one message). I don't claim that
everyone has this need or even that we're not trying to fit a tool
into a scenario it wasn't meant to do. But it sure is one of the cool
factors for everyone I've demoed ESME to. If we're not different than
the competition- laconi.ca, Yammer, present.ly, etc., then I'm not
sure we can compete just on the speed of copying features from the
others.

At any rate, time will tell if Comet is a key differentiator or is
dragging us down. But since we have it already, why would we give it
up?

I would even suggest that we have both APIs compete with each other
and see which one clients would choose to use.

Vassil