From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patch submitted, working towards API design
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 07:28:47 GMT
> - "Streaming" as far as I understand is about "push" functionality.
> I would not go as far as to say "polling is bad". Since twitter is not real
> time ESME would maybe not need to be real time as well. This means one could
> poll infrequently (every few minutes?) using conditional GET's, which would
> not be that inefficient. Comet has the disadvantage that without special
> server support (available in Jetty, but not in Netweaver CE for example)  it
> causes a lot of threads to be created on the server, which is also not
> really efficient.

Just wanted to comment on threading- the advantage of using Scala is
that the actor model is not necessarily associated with one thread per
request. When using "react", there doesn't have to be a thread backing
each actor. Also, using Lift's CometActor is a nice abstraction which
I can imagine could even transparently implement HTML 5 WebSockets one
day without significant changes to the client code.