From Marcelo Pham <marc...@akibot.com>
Subject Re: Collaboration with Akibot
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 06:38:35 GMT
Hi everybody,

Thanks Martin and Dick. My name is Marcelo, I'm the head developer of
Akibot and thank you for having Akibot in mind for the ESME project,
we feel proud to involved with this community and happy to help in any
way we can.

I posted today in the wiki a proposed messaging protocol layout and
we're working on improving the documentation and following API ESME
format for incoming messages.

A few things:

-Akibot used to be hosted in GAE but it is not anymore. Due to
database limitations (GAE uses BigTable which has a lot of limitations
for performance purposes) we walked out of GAE and are now in the
Rackspace cloud, which allows us to expand vertically and horizontally
quickly and easily. We had to migrate the whole code and database, but
fortunately we're done with it. We were able to keep some of the
interface with Google (Google Docs for now)

-Use case: we're working on a couple of real life scenarios and wanted
to share a few use cases. Here goes the first one, if you follow this
use case with the diagram I posted in the wiki, it will be a lot
easier to understand and follow:

One of our beta testers is an online retailer, one of the biggest for
baby products. They carry 20k+ products and their sales, marketing and
purchasing processes are very fast paced.
Their main groups are the Sales/Marketing group and the Purchasing
group. They both use their microblogs to chat about day to day issues.

1. One of the Purchasing employees posted this in the Purchasing micro-
blog group:
"@victoria I just ordered 3,000 more G70" (G70 is an item "Kidco
fireplace gate").
to let his boss know that he ordered what they discussed some days ago.

2. Akibot picked up the conversation and understood that 3,000 G70
were ordered (through the contextual analyzer)

3. Akibot inquired the purchasing history for G70 (through an ERP
feed) and noticed that this was an unusual quantity (through the
directive processor)

4. Akibot then called up another application that inquiries the price
for G70 in Amazon and other online retailers (through the directive
processor as well)

5. Akibot found that Toys'r'us is selling G70 cheaper (through the
directive processor as well)

6. Since Purchasing just ordered more G70, and competitors are selling
it cheaper, there will be a problem!

7. Akibot posts back a message alerting the Sales group:  "Purchasing
just ordered 3,000 more G70. We're selling it at $194.99, the
competition at $184.99 (Toysrus)"

8. Sales will contact Purchasing, and either they lower the price or
cancel the purchase order

This "reasoning" that Akibot has, is through directives. This use case
above is one directive. Akibot comes with standard directives and you
can add custom directives ("teach" him). These directives can be
shared by other companies using Akibot, so the more companies use
Akibot, the more Akibot learns...

Hope this helps understand Akibot behavior a little bit better and how
it can help companies. Not sure if we should include this in the
wiki... and I can give more use cases if it helps more... please let
me know

Thanks again and have a great day!

Marcelo