From Markus Kohler <markus.koh...@gmail.com>
Subject Client side optimizations
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:10:19 GMT
Hi all,
Steve Souders web performance evangelist at Google  claimed in his book (and
elsewhere) that 80% of the time it takes for a web page to load, is on the
client side. Also I do not agree 100%, I think he has a point.

I did a quick check with PageSpeed (
http://code.google.com/intl/de-DE/speed/page-speed/) and it seems we have
some low hanging fruits to pick. PageSpeed is an amazing Firefox plugin and
I can only recommend you to run it by yourself as well. It's very
enlightening. I can also send a report to Dick if needed.

It seems esme does not compress all the files it could (and should
compress).
I think compression for static files such as css. has to be configured in
Jetty somewhere, but how does Lift handle compression?

Other improvements could be made be merging several small css file, and by
running a Javascript compressor.
The newest PageSpeed has support for "Clojure" googles new fancy javascript
compressor. I wonder how difficult it would be to  put a JS compressor into
the Build process. Anyone has an idea?

Regards,
Markus

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" -- Alan Kay