From Markus Kohler <markus.koh...@gmail.com>
Subject Memory allocation analysis Episode II
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 16:28:22 GMT
Hi all,
In short, We are down from 90Mbyte to *19Mbyte* for sending one message and
I believe it should be possible to get under 10Mbyte  without too much
effort. With 10  Mbyte we would comply to the performance standard of some
major ERP vendor, but honestly I believe we should be able to do even better
;-)

Out of the 19Mbyte(maybe even only 11, it's bit hard to get reproducible
results) 9,9 are consumed by scala.xml.XML$.loadString(java.lang.String)
mainly because every time the routine is called, a new Parser is
instantiated. In addition javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance()
is called, which hits  (unless that has changed in recent JDK's) the file
system to find out which XML parser is configured.  *I think ideally this
should be fixed in the Scala sources. *

The issue with the message formatted 300 times when all users are logged on
still seems to be there, at least the GC log suggests that, but I guess
David will attack that soon. I will send around the profiling reports later
on.

Regards,
Markus

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" -- Alan Kay