From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code formatting / beautifier for Scala
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2009 20:26:26 GMT
> I don't have any ideas for a beautifier but I think coming up with coding
> standards would be a good idea. I noticed going through the code that in one
> place "user" might represent an instance of the User class and other times
> it might represent a Long user id. Without declarative static typing of Java
> it can be confusing figuring out which is which. Just an idea.

We can use some naming convention, e.g. append "Id". But most IDEs can
infer the type and show it (say, in a tooltip), right?

Regarding code formatting, we must first agree on the formatting rules
before applying some automatic code formatter. I'm not very happy with
some automatic formatting, for instance deep indents for multiple
nested method invocations tends to make line width very large quickly.
Besides, I'm not sure at this point how detailed we want the
formatting instructions to be.