From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Actions, tags, and the public timeline
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:55:34 GMT
Dick,

I disagree, or rather I think we're talking about two separate issues.

1. My current problem is that actions always tag the messages they
create with something like "Action_123455". I think they shouldn't do
this, as it is meaningless to an end-user and pollutes the tag cloud.
I'm not sure what the use-case of this approach is even for other
actions, as each one is different and seemingly unpredictable.

2. You issue seems to be that certain automation users (or actions?)
ought not to appear in the public timeline. I agree with this need,
but I'm not sure how best to do this. Some actions should show up in
the public timeline. Maybe we need a concept that is neither a true
user or an action, but is instead an action that is started by and
owned by a particular user and which pulls in external events from RSS
feeds. For the time being, I think we're ok. The Jira items in the
public timeline are kind of annoying, but really only for me because
they are repopulated when the server restarts.

Ethan