From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ESME at GitHub (was: Turtles all the way down (or how I learned to love math in computing)
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 03:18:16 GMT

On Wed 19 Aug 2009 23:51, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:12 PM, David
>> Pollak<feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > ...What I've done so far is to create a project at GitHub (
>> > http://github.com/dpp/esme_g2/tree/master ) I find Git's branching
>> > much easier to allow for playing and exploring... which will be
>> > very importan in the early days.  I will add all the ESME
>> > committers to the GitHub project.  Once the codebase stabilizes, we
>> > can move it into the Apache repo.  (If the Apache powers that be
>> > have an issue with this, let's all talk through it now.)...

If the code is developed outside of the ASF infrastructure, then we
might need a code grant to move it back into the ASF subversion
repository.  As great as git is, I don't recommend this approach.  As
Bertrand pointed out, we have mirrors of the subversion repository that
all you to use git locally while still making sure it ends up back in
the official repo.

> My policy with Lift is that we do not accept patches, period.  Only
> committers can write code that winds up in the repo.  I am a lawyer by
> training and my wife is one of the most awesome IP lawyers in the
> world.  Being anal about the provenance of code is my default setting.
> My expectation for ESME G2 on GitHub is that only folks with commit
> rights to the Apache ESME project would have commit rights to the
> GitHub repo.  Period.  No exceptions.  No code from JIRA tickets go
> into the G2 codebase.  Nothing.  Nada.

Because you'd be running it on git or because you don't want to deal
with patches while doing the early experimental work?

Shutting out all non-committers is not a ideal way to encourage more
uptake of the project.  Even if it is only temporary.

--
   J. Aaron Farr
   馮傑仁