From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ESME at GitHub (was: Turtles all the way down (or how I learned to love math in computing)
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:51:25 GMT
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:12 PM, David
> Pollak<feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...What I've done so far is to create a project at GitHub (
> > http://github.com/dpp/esme_g2/tree/master )  I find Git's branching much
> > easier to allow for playing and exploring... which will be very important
> in
> > the early days.  I will add all the ESME committers to the GitHub
> project.
> > Once the codebase stabilizes, we can move it into the Apache repo.  (If
> the
> > Apache powers that be have an issue with this, let's all talk through it
> > now.)...
>
> Here's some info about the use of github (or any external SCM for that
> matter) in Apache projects.
>
> Curt Arnold's message at http://markmail.org/message/pz4mjekrtcqzvncc
> summarizes the potential issues.

My policy with Lift is that we do not accept patches, period.  Only
committers can write code that winds up in the repo.  I am a lawyer by
training and my wife is one of the most awesome IP lawyers in the world.
 Being anal about the provenance of code is my default setting.  My
expectation for ESME G2 on GitHub is that only folks with commit rights to
the Apache ESME project would have commit rights to the GitHub repo.
 Period.  No exceptions.  No code from JIRA tickets go into the G2 codebase.
 Nothing.  Nada.

I agree with the visibility concerns and don't have an easy way to address
them.

My expectation would be that the G2 repo would be rolled into the Apache SVN
repo when the experimentation phase was over and the need to have 10 or 20
simultaneous branches was over.

> http://git.apache.org/ supplies read-only Git mirrors of Apache
> codebases, ESME can be added there if needed.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache suggest sa workflow that
> combines git with our SVN.

I am aware of these.  I use git-svn for all my svn based projects.  I also
(oddly) don't want to start a flame-war, but there's a material difference
between that SVN offers and what Git offers in open source development.  The
ability to branch for free and play on the branches changes the face of
development.  Lift went from a 1 or 2 branch project to one with 10+
branches going at any one time... when things get "right" the branch is
merged into master (trunk).  It's led to an unbelievable amount of
exploration and in my experience, a ton of collaborative creativity.

At the end of the day, if Dick and Anne ask that we keep stuff in the Apache
SVN repo, that's what I'll do and I'll figure out a way to explore within
the confines of SVN.

Thanks,

David

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp