From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Current REST-API - Sessions
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 06:37:01 GMT
> I'd be interested to see whatever we have. Nothing comes up when I
> google the old esme-dev google group, but maybe someone has something
> somewhere. I checked the old REST API documentation page and didn't
> see anything. Do you think I would be able to figure it out from
> looking at the source code?

Source code is how I figured it out :) and the description's probably
on an even older mailing list ;-) Currently I see only a mapping of
current API to a recommended REST API in the wiki, is this the best
place I should document it?

> That guy may have been me. I'm slowly having it explained to me that
> the design principles of ESME don't necessarily match up to the design
> principles of HTTP and to a certain extent REST. You'll have to bear
> with me as I work through the cognitive dissonance of an HTTP
> (document-focused) API to a stream-focused tool. :-)

It definitely wasn't you :) I was starting to recognize the principles
of pure REST at about that time myself, so you probably know more than
me already.

> I think what is most helpful is that exceptions have justifications
> that are documented unemotionally somewhere accessible. I had not
> understood the idea of ESME as stream-based until today due to this
> conversation with you and another offline conversation with David. I
> now realize that I had seen these very same justifications written
> about multiple times before, but never in a way I personally could
> understand. Hopefully on my next flight I'll be able to write a blog
> and/or wiki page on the topic that may help out others with this
> problem in the future.

As a rule of thumb, we shouldn't convert the long poll calls into
REST-compliant methods.

> Thanks for taking the time to work with me on this!

You're welcome! As a result of this there's a chance that even I start
understanding this REST stuff :)

Vassil