From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API 2.0 update and design questions
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:51:18 GMT
Hi Vassil,
Maybe I should have grouped questions 3 & 4 together. What I'm interested in
are points of view on what streaming approach we should be using for the
parts of the API that need to be streamed.

I do think that all information in ESME should be accessible via HTTP, and I
think long-polling is a good way to accomplish that for things like message
queues. It's especially good since it already exists. In my understanding,
long-polling is essentially a short-lived subscription that requires an open
connection. I also threw out a few other options for pub/sub over HTTP, to
fill out the field.

My concern, and suspicion, is just that HTTP is not the right protocol to be
using for this type of streaming of message queues. I'm thinking that a
protocol like AMQP may be better suited. If we go with something like AMQP
(for example), then I want to make sure that an HTTP method of access to the
same messages (and hopefully the same queue, if possible) is still
available.

Thoughts?

Ethan